5/3/10

time capsules

A dear friend asked me recently if this MORE blog was strictly for goal setting, or if I was using it as more of a journal of accomplishments, etc. Hmmmmmmm. I think I have to say that it is a touch of both.

I realize I have posted a few things on here that were not strictly established as goals initially. Generally these have been crafts or Activity Day events that I think might be valuable to share with you. Perhaps I'll just remedy this and set a wee goal right now ... I want to be awesome for my family and awesome for my Activity Day girls. There.
Goal set! And with that said, I will now begin posting some recent activities that I have done with the activity day girls from our church that could also be used for Family Home Evenings or family activities. BTW, I always make the girls an FHE lesson to go with each activity. so let me know if you are interested in those, and I'll post them.

So, we had a fun Time Capsule activity last month. I made each girl a homemade time capsule and gave them 3 weeks to find things to fill them with. I made the time capsules by just washing out round containers with lids and covering them with craft paper. I also cut out round pieces of matching paper to cover the inside bottoms of the containers. Then I used Mod Podge to affix the labels and smooth out the entire exterior. Then, at the activity, we shared some of the items we put in our capsules and got them ready to seal up tight for the next 10 years.

Here are some of the time capsules...

I also made some cute questionnaire books for them to fill out to put in their time capsules. I am including the pages here. These are geared toward 8 - 9 year olds, so you could use these as a starting place for making something similar for your own family. Just print these back to back on two sheets of paper and then cut the pages in the middle, lengthwise. Then put the cut pages together, cover with the "All About Me" covers, fold in half, and punch holes in the spine of this questionnaire book and tie with ribbon. You get the idea.

Page 1:
Page 2:
Page 3:
Page 4:
Questionnaire Covers:


Container label:


Maggie and I had some wonderful fun putting our time capsules together. We filmed Mags for about 20 minutes just answering questions and talking. It was so funny...she cracks us up. Then we put that on a dvd along with some of her favorite music from right now. I wrote her a long letter, and we also included lots of photos, book lists, drawings, sheet music, letters from friends...just lots of stuff. One cool thing Maggie and I did was send ourselves a stone letter. If any of you have seen the excellent film Departures, you will know what I am talking about. (Yes, do see this film!) We wrapped our stones in a paper with the following explanation on it . . . Then we as a group wrote letters to ourselves to include in our time capsules. I shared with the girls some of the letters I wrote to myself when I was a kid and told them about how many of my wishes and goals had come to fruition. I tried to explain to them that part of becoming who and what we wish to be in life is saying and manifesting it somehow.

I am thinking I will transition this idea into a family tradition, starting this year, to make a family time capsule that we seal at the New Year. Then, beginning in ten years, and for each year afterward, we will have a time capsule to open and enjoy as a family. I am always on the look-out for a quality family tradition, and I think ours will really respond to this one.

Maybe your family would like it too! Let me know if you make one and if you have any great ideas for containers or time capsule contents!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, and so cute! Now you just need to become a RS Pres so I can steal your ideas for that. I would love to have your FHE lessons that you do also.

    ReplyDelete